Cardiff City Hall was packed to the rafters this week with AMs, MPs and peers from all main political parties who had congregated for the annual Welsh Political Awards.
Now in its 11th year, chaired by Dr Denis Balsom and hosted by Four Cymru, the awards are chosen by a different panel of journalists and individuals with party connections.
Politician of the Year went to Leanne Wood for her performances during the general election in May on the U- wide stage, including a particularly memorable clash with UKIP’s Nigel Farage.
MP of the Year went to the Rhondda's MP, Chris Bryant, and to a standing ovation, the Lifetime Achievement Award was presented to Lord Murphy who formerly as Paul Murphy was Labour MP for Torfaen for 28 years. During this time he served twice as Secretary of State for Wales and as Minister of State in the Northern Ireland Office, playing a particularly crucial role in the early negotiations that led to the Good Friday Agreement, and chairing the Security and Intelligence Committee which oversees the work of MI5 and MI6.
The full list of award winners was:
- Politician of the Year: Leanne Wood AM
- MP of the Year: Chris Bryant MP (MP Rhondda)
- AM of the Year: Kirsty Williams AM
- Campaigner of the Year: Byron Davies (MP for Gower)
- Member to Watch: Nick Thomas-Symonds (MP for Torfaen)
- Lifetime Achievement Award: Lord Murphy (former Labour MP Torfaen)